This time last year, there would be no way you would’ve convinced me that I would be writing Game of Thrones hot takes, but here we are. While Season 4 was airing, I watched the first two episodes and was completely uninterested. However, last July, I watched the first few episodes of Season 1 and became hooked. While The Wire is my favorite show ever, GoT definitely holds the #2 slot. Last month, I completed my first re-watch of the show and now I’m a faux-expert. I may not know much but I do know that when you play the game of thrones, you either win or you die; there is no middle ground. With the show coming to an end next summer, I wanted to predict some of the major events of the next two seasons. (For disclosure, I have not read the books, so these are legit hypotheticals of how I think the show will play out.)
- There will be a great sea battle between Daenerys and the Iron-Born Fleet. Theon will survive the battle and kill Eron Greyjoy, his uncle, but Yara will die. Theon will have to learn to become a man on his own.
- After the sea battle, Daenerys’ fleet will be depleted and will need to turn to the Iron Bank for backing or be more willing to join forces with Jon Snow.
- The Wall in the North is controlled by magic and this is what holds the White Walkers from breaching it. The White Walkers will figure a way to destroy the Wall and it’s going to be visually awesome and terrifying.
- Brienne, in some way, is going to have to make a choice between Jaime Lannister and Sansa. Because of her honor and loyalty, and despite loving Jaime, she will chose Sansa.
- The Hound will kill Zombie Mountain. Sandor Clegane gains (a little) redemption and revenge from his brother.
“Kind of a stretch but stay with me” predictions
- People think that Daenerys will become the next Mad King, just like her father, but I think that will happen to Cersei. Without the Tyrell’s financial backing, Cersei will become indebted to the Iron Bank even more. Poor and hunger will run ramped in King’s Landing.
QueenKing Cersei lost her children, the only thing that humanized her, and this will cause her to be ultra fierce and murderous. King’s Landing will ascend into chaos, making the taking of the Iron Throne easier.
- Jaime will be the one that kills Cersei. The Kingslayer becomes the Queenslayer. I think Jaime will realize that no Lannister is fit to rule and, for the sake of the realm, he’ll know that her death is mandatory, just like it was when he killed Aerys Targaryen.
- Little Finger finally gets got. The plot that Baelish has to drive between Jon and Sansa is discovered. Or Sansa wises up and just kills him.
- Syrio Forel comes back for one final lesson. When the King’s Guard tried capturing Arya during Season 1, it’s implied that Meryn Trant killed Syrio but we don’t really know for sure because the killing was off-screen. I think he escaped and went into exile. What do we say to the god of death? Not today, muthafuckas.
- The Night King and Jon
Stark TargaryenSnow will both control a dragon. This may be more for Season 8, but GoT is going to get crazy really quickly. I don’t think all of Daenerys children will survive the different battles. This is where the Night King will step in and resurrect one of the fallen dragons. Also, with the big reveal of Season 6 and knowing that the Targaryen’s can control dragons, this leaves room for the King of the North to take out some White Walkers.
“Completely ridiculous, but fuck it; why not?” predictions
- Bran Stark will learn to control a dragon. Now, I understand that only Targaryen’s can control dragons, but I believe his telepathic powers will get so strong that he’ll be able to control any animal. In fact, I think he’ll learn how to even control humans in the way that he was able to control Hodor.
- Rhaegar Targaryen did not kidnap Lyanna Stark. Looking back at the show, we hear how Robert Baratheon loved Lyanna and how she was to marry him, but we don’t know how Lyanna felt. Maybe this is the secret that Ned was suppose to pass onto Jon. My guess is Rhaegar and Lyanna were in love, got married and had Jon Snow, making Jon the rightful heir to the Iron Throne, not Daenerys. Even though Daenerys is sister to Rhaegar, with lordship succession, once Aerys (aka the Mad King) died, the heir to the throne would be transferred to the either the eldest male son or the eldest brother. Because Rhaegar and Viserys died, the succession would be passed to his eldest, legitimate son. If Rhaegar and Lyanna wed, this son would be Jon
SnowTargaryen, passing over aunt Dany. (Sorry, ladies. Men are trash in real life and in fiction.) Once Jon’s origin is discovered, however, he’ll let Daenerys win the game of thrones. I think Jon will pass on being the ruler of the Seven Kingdoms similar to the way Ned passed on the kingship and let Robert take the throne after overthrowing the Targaryen’s. This will be confirmed through Bran’s visions.
- Ned Stark comes back from the fucking dead! Yes, this is 100% farfetched… or is it? It is. Are you sure?
I’m going to periodically check in on these hot takes throughout the season, just to see how wrong I was. Also, let me know if I’m as full of shit as I think I am. Kill the boy, Jon Snow. Winter is almost upon us.